Porchetta with Home-made Apple Sauce Recipe
How to Make Porchetta with Home-made Apple Sauce
- Remove pork belly from packaging and pat dry with paper towel. With a sharp knife, score (or re-score) the rind at 1cm intervals, being careful not to cut into the meat. Place unwrapped pork belly in baking dish, uncovered for a minimum of 1 hour, preferably overnight for best results.
- Preheat oven to 220°C (200°C fan-forced). Rub the pork skin with olive oil and season with salt – both on the meat and skin.
- Finely chop the parsley and rosemary and place in a medium-sized bowl. Add the oregano, lemon zest, garlic and oil and combine. Place the pork skin-side down on a chopping board. Spread the herb mixture over the pork. Roll up the pork, skin on the outside, to form a log shape. Tie with kitchen twine at 3cm intervals to hold the roll in shape.
- Place pork in a roasting pan. Roast for 30 minutes or until the skin starts to crackle. Reduce heat to 180°C (160°C fan-forced) and cook for 1½-2 hours or until the meat is tender and crackling is crisp. Remove and set aside to rest, loosely covered with foil, for 15 minutes before cutting into thick slices using a serrated knife to cut the crackling.
- Meanwhile, cut the red onion into wedges. Peel, core and cut apples into wedges. Place onion and apple in a baking dish and drizzle with oil and vinegar, then sprinkle with thyme leaves. Season with salt and black pepper. Bake in the oven alongside the pork for 30-40 minutes or until very tender. Roughly chop 3 apple wedges and fold into the apple sauce, if you like it chunky.
- To make the apple sauce, wash, peel and core your apples. Zest and juice the lemon.
- Combine 2 tablespoons of cold water, apples and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice in a small saucepan. Bring to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 12-14 minutes or until the apples soften. Stir in the sugar and lemon rind. Allow to cool slightly. With a stick mixer, purée the apple mixture until smooth.
- Serve apple sauce warm or cold with your porchetta.
For more tips on how to make the perfect pork crackle, see our recipe and video here: https://www.aldi.com.au/en/recipes/main-meals-recipes/perfect-pork-crackle-recipe/