Reuben Hand Pies Recipe
How to Make Reuben Hand Pies
- Preheat oven to 200°C (or 180°C fan-forced). Lightly spray baking tray with cooking oil.
- Combine mayonnaise and paprika in a large bowl and mix well.
- Add the pastrami (or silverside), pickled cabbage and the sliced cheese to the bowl and stir well to combine.
- Lay out puff pastry sheets on a lightly floured surface. Cut each sheet into 2 large triangles. Place pastrami mix between 6 triangles evenly. Fold the sheet over to form a triangle and then pinch the sheet together to form a tight seal all the way around.
- Once sealed, you can create a decorative crimped edge in a wave by pinching the dough between your fingers or use a fork to press the edges together.
- Brush with egg wash and scatter with sesame seeds over top of pies. Transfer pies to lined baking trays.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden and crisp.
- Serve warm pies with mustard and pickles.
Recipe: Courtesy of Colleen, ALDI Test Kitchen
**Tip: To make quick pickled cabbage:
- Add white wine vinegar, lemon juice, water and salt to a saucepan. Bring to the boil then add cabbage and peppercorns.
- Boil for 1 minute then reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and drain.
- Let cabbage cool before using.
*Note: Using corned beef silverside in these hand pies is a delicious alternative and a great way to use up your leftovers.
How to cook corned beef silverside:
- Remove Brannans Butchery corned beef silverside from bag.
- Place in a large pot and add onion, celery, cloves, brown sugar, vinegar, peppercorns, carrots and bay leaves.
- Add silverside over the top of the ingredients. Fill and cover with cold water and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer with lid on until cooked and very tender.
- Allow 30 minutes per 500g once water reaches simmering point.
- Allow corned beef silverside to rest in cooking water for 30 minutes, then remove and dice.
- See method above to incorporate into your Reuben Hand Pies.