How to Make Roast Chicken
- Heat oven to 190°C (170° fan forced)
- Season the cavity of the chicken liberally with salt and pepper, then stuff with the lemon halves and thyme.
- Sit the chicken in a roasting tin and smother the breast and legs all over with the butter, then season the outside with salt and pepper.
- Place in the oven and leave, undisturbed, for 1 hr 45 mins – this will give you a perfectly roasted chicken.
- To check the chicken is cooked, pierce the thigh with a skewer and the juices should run clear.
- Remove the tin from the oven and, using a pair of tongs, lift the chicken to a dish or board to rest for 15-20 mins.
- As you lift the dish, let any juices from the chicken pour out of the cavity into the roasting tin.
- Serve with roast potatoes and seasonal vegetables.