Mini Chicken and Mushroom Pie Recipe
How to Make Mini Chicken and Mushroom Pies
- Preheat oven to 180°C (or 160°C for fan-forced ovens)
- Place the olive oil in a medium sized frypan on medium heat. Add the bacon and fry until golden and crispy. Remove bacon from pan and drain on a paper towel.
- Add the chicken pieces to the pan with the bacon grease and sauté until golden. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- Add the mushrooms and leek and cook for about 5 minutes until soft.
- Add the bacon and chicken back into the pan with the mushrooms and leeks, mix thoroughly.
- Add 1 cup of chicken stock and stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, add the cornflour to the ½ cup of cold chicken stock and mix with a fork until dissolved. Slowly pour the cornflour mix to the pan, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Stir through the parsley, season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
- Using two sheets of puff pastry, cut the pastry so it lines and fits snuggly inside 4 small greased individual pie dishes*. Prick the pastry with a fork.
- Make 4 pastry lids (cutting them large enough to overhang so you can fold them over the pie bases)**.
- Fill each pie dish with the chicken filling. Separate the crumbled feta into 4 portions and sprinkle on top of chicken filling.
- Top each pie with a puff pastry lid. Using your fingers or a fork pinch, the lid and pie base together to seal the pies.
- Brush each pie top with the egg wash and bake for 30 minutes or until golden and flakey.
OPTIONAL: Sprinkle sesame or poppy seeds over the egg wash before baking.
*For the pie bases: Cut the pastry in half and gently lay it into the greased pie dishes. Push into the bottom and sides of pie dish. Use a rolling pin to roll over the top of the pie dish and cut the excess pastry off.
**For the pie top: Turn the pie dish upside down onto the puff pastry sheet and carefully cut around it, leaving 1cm around the pie dish.