Vegan Mushroom and Beetroot Quiche Recipe
How to Make Vegan Mushroom and Beetroot Quiche
- To prepare the pie crust, place the flour, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Cut in the vegan margarine and mix until crumbly.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the vegetable oil and water. Add to the crumbly flour mixture and mix together until a dough starts to form. Use your hands to pull the dough together, incorporating the flour mixture. Wrap dough ball in cling wrap and place in fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare your filling and start by making the vegan feta cheese. Drain off the water from the tofu and set it aside for later. Place a clean tea towel or paper towels on a cutting board and place another clean tea towel or paper towels on top of the tofu. Place something heavy on the top (a large bowl of water or 2 tins of food). Let the tofu sit for 30 minutes to press the moisture out.
- Remove dough ball from fridge and roll out onto a lightly floured surface to about half a centimetre. Once dough is rolled out, gently press into your quiche tin, trimming extra dough from around the edges by gently using a rolling pin across the top of the quiche tin, then removing the excess dough.
- Prick the base with a fork and blind bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes, or until slightly brown in colour. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile heat oil in a frypan on medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent and softened. Add sliced mushrooms, garlic, salt and pepper and cook until softened. Season with salt and pepper. Add in baby spinach leaves and toss through until wilted. Remove from heat and allow to slightly cool.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (or 160°C fan forced).
- Cut tofu into cubes and place in a blender. Add cornflour, turmeric, paprika and the tablespoon of reserved tofu water. Blend well. Add soy milk, season with salt and pepper and blend again until it reaches a smooth consistency. Set aside.
- Gently fold in the mushroom and spinach mixture with the tofu mixture. Fold in the beetroot. Pour the filling into the quiche base. Place into the oven and bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes until firm and golden on top.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Tip: Allow to cool slightly before slicing and serving.