Vegan Stuffed Eggplant Recipe
How to Make Vegan Stuffed Eggplant
- Defrost meatless mince in refrigerator overnight or as per packet directions.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (or 160°C for fan-forced ovens).
- Cut eggplant in half and make small criss-cross incisions in a diamond pattern, to score.
- Be careful not to cut through the skin of the eggplant, only the flesh.
- Heat a large frypan on medium heat and spray with olive oil spray.
- Place eggplant, cut side down, in the frypan and fry until lightly golden, about 5-7 minutes. Once browned, remove eggplant and put on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- In the same frypan, heat the olive oil and fry the diced onion and garlic until soft and golden.
- Add the meatless mince, salt and pepper. Heat through, stirring, until cooked through. Set aside.
- Toast the pine nuts by adding to a warm, dry frypan. Keep the nuts moving as they toast, to avoid burning. They should be only slightly golden and ready in 2-3 minutes.
- Top the eggplant with the meatless mince and sprinkle with the pinenuts. Season with salt and pepper.
- Loosely cover with foil and bake in the oven for 40 minutes, until the eggplant is tender. Remove the foil and bake for a further 10-15 minutes until eggplant is very soft to the touch.
- Once cooked, carefully remove eggplant and place on a serving platter.
- Drizzzle lightly with balsamic fig glaze and sprinkle with vegan Parmesan. Garnish with baby basil leaves.
- Serve warm.
Optional: Add other flavours to the meatless mince such as chili powder, paprika and cumin for a Mexican flavour and top with coriander instead of basil. Omit the glaze.