Spinach and Zucchini Fritters Recipe
How to make Spinach and Zucchini Fritters
- For the fritters, cook the baby spinach leaves in a dry, non-stick pan, placed over a medium-high heat. Stir until wilted then drain in a colander. Once cooled, pat with paper towel until very dry. Place into a large mixing bowl.
- Coarsely grate the zucchini and place on a clean tea towel. Squeeze until dry and add it to the mixing bowl. Add shallots, flour and egg yolks. Season with salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff and gently fold them into the zucchini batter mix. Set batter asde.
- Make the whipped fetta by placing the fetta into a small food processor with the lemon juice, lemon zest and a tablespoon of water and blitz until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat and drop in dollops of batter, roughly ⅓ cup each. You should be able to make 8 fritters in total, cooked in 2-3 batches. Cook for 3 minutes on each side or until cooked through and nicely coloured. Drain on paper towel and set aside.
- Meanwhile, poach the eggs by breaking each one into a small cup and gently lowering into a large saucepan of barely simmering water. Cook for 2 minutes or until cooked to your liking. Drain on paper towel.
- Serve the fritters on top of the whipped fetta, along with the poached eggs. Garnish with a few mint leaves and serve with a wedge of lemon.
Tip: You can swap out the shallots for an equal volume of finely diced red onion. Or you can swap for chopped chives instead.
Optional: For a delicious school or work lunch, you can omit the poached egg and serve the fritters on a soft bread roll, or as a side to a fresh rocket salad.